I love my capsule menu, but I realized I needed a plan for a few “food related emergencies.” “Food related emergencies” are those times when something unexpected happens involving food: the church secretary calls and asks you to bring a salad for a funeral, tomorrow. Your kids need a snack NOW. You are invited to a potluck or asked to bring a dish to Thanksgiving or a treat to a Christmas party.
The next step to having a great capsule menu is to have a list of “go-to” dishes for (most) of life’s spur-of-the-moment chaos involving food.
First, think of some categories
Categories that fit most “food related emergencies'” in your life. My categories are:
- Easy travel meals
- Potluck dishes
- Desserts to share
- Feeding a crowd
- Snack time
Next, think of one or two (or more) meals or dishes that fit into each of your categories.
They CAN be meals that are already on your capsule menu! Remember, each meal or dish you list should be something quick and easy to make and involves ingredients you always keep on hand. If you can choose a basic meal or dish with a twist, you will always have something others will enjoy. (Instead of brownies, choose chocolate chunk brownies or brownies with frosting or s’more brownies.)
Here is my list:
- Easy Travel Meals:
- Chicken Ranch Wraps
- Egg Salad
- Pea Salad with Chicken
- Potluck Dishes
- Black Beans and Rice (Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
- Pea Salad (Gluten Free)
- Cauliflower “Fo-tato” Salad (Gluten Free)
- Desserts to Share
- Chocolate Cranberry Oat Bars
- Grandma Healey’s Ginger Cookies
- Brownie Pudding Cake
- Special Agent Cake (Gluten Free & THM S)
- Key Lime Cake (Gluten free and THM S)
- Feeding a Crowd
- Haystacks (this is my ultimate go-to for feeding large groups. It can also easily be allergen-free…this meal deserves its own post!)
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup (easy to make a large batch to feed your family and share with another family)
- Lorretta’s Amazing Meatloaf (also easy to double and feed your family and gift another family)
- Snack Time
- Veggies & Dip (PB or Ranch)
- Fruit and PB or nuts or cheese
Finally, post this list.
Keep this list with your capsule menu so you are ready for all “food emergencies”!
What is your favorite “go-to” dish?